Dubai, having a central location and a massive international airport, gets many international airlines passing through using it as a transit point. Most transit connections can take up to a few hours, but there are a few that can take longer. To entice tourists who are at Dubai airport for a long time, there are Dubai transit visas that you allow inside the city to enjoy awesome tourist attractions, delicious food, and shopping avenues. The following information will tell you all you need to know about the Dubai transit visa.
When do you need a transit visa?
- If you have a connecting flight from Dubai that takes you to your destination ahead, you will need to get a Dubai transit visa.
- If you don’t belong to one of the countries whose citizens are eligible for a visa on arrival, you will need to get the transit Dubai visa in advance.
About the Transit Visa Dubai
There are 2 types of single-entry and single-exit transit visas that immigration in Dubai issues. These visas will allow you to enter Dubai during your layover period and enjoy the city and even stay in a hotel till your next flight arrives.
48-Hour Dubai Transit Visa – When you have a layover that needs you to wait anywhere between 8 to 48 hours in Dubai, you have to get the 48-hour Dubai Transit Visa. You have to apply for this visa in advance and have to leave the country before the 48-hour period comes to an end.
96-Hour Dubai Transit Visa – When your layover in Dubai is going to exceed 48 hours, you will need to get a 96-hour Dubai transit visa. You have to get the visa in advance and leave UAE before the 96-hour period comes to an end.
Documents Required for Dubai Transit Visa
Though you may not need as many documents for the transit visa as you require for the Dubai visa, you will still need important documents for processing. The following are the Dubai transit visa requirements:
Valid Passport – Your passport needs to have a validity of more than 3 months, and you have to submit a coloured scan copy of your passport’s last and first page. Also, your passport needs to have a few blank pages for the transit visa stamps.
Colour Passport Picture – You need a passport picture against a white background with your application. Ensure this picture meets all the requirements set by Dubai’s immigration authority. Do not use the passport picture you would have taken for your visa for your onward destination because that country’s passport picture requirements may be different.
Approved Visa of the 3rd Country – Since Dubai is just your transit destination, you have to furnish your approved visa for your final destination. If this is a return journey and your 3rd destination is your home country, your passport should be enough.
Official Identification – You have to attach an official photo ID issued by your country’s governing authority and recognised by the UAE government.
Proof of Accommodation – If you are going to be in Dubai for more than 24 hours, you will have to show proof of hotel booking or provide details of the friend or family you will be staying with during the transit period.
Air Tickets – You also have to attach a copy of the confirmed air tickets to your next destination.
Important Information to Remember
- You have to leave Dubai before your Dubai transit visa period gets over.
- Both the transit visas (48-hour & 96-hour) cannot be renewed. So, make sure you do not miss your connecting flight.
- You cannot look for jobs in Dubai when you are there during the layover period.
- If you shop while in Dubai, make sure your account for the weight limits on international flights, and you declare items that you are supposed to declare in advance.
- Do not indulge in any illegal activities while you are in Dubai that can lead to your detention.
- Pay the departure fee as all people leaving the UAE airports are subject to this fee.
- Follow all the rules and regulations applicable to tourists.
Dubai Transit Visa Approval
If all your documents are in order, and you have paid the required fees, your visa may come through in 4-7 working days. Most transit visas usually get through, so unless there is a major issue with your documents, you will get your Dubai transit visa.
If you are travelling through Dubai from a South Asia country (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, or Bangladesh), you will have to get an OTB status on your ticket’s PNR. This is compulsory for all citizens of South Asian countries. To get this, you will need to submit your approved Dubai visa details to your airline. Once approved, the OTB status will reflect on your ticket’s PNR.
Follow the instructions given above, and your Dubai transit visa will come through. If you need help, you can also get help from professional visa companies. These companies can accurately guide you regarding the documents and visa process.